Although a great deal of food is unhealthy in their traditional form, there are a few dishes that are indeed healthy. Below, I’ve provided a bit more detail on the ones that aren’t self-explanatory.
- Pak Choi Stir Fry – Pak Choi (Chinese cabbage) cooked over stovetop with other spices and ingredients. Spicy dish with hints ginger.
- Tomato/Eggplant/Coconut/Fish Choka (minus the brown sugar) – Choka entails the type of preparation. The main ingredient is fire-roasted, then grinded or mashed up. Other ingredients are blended in after. Smoky-flavoured dish.
- Papaya/Mango Salad – Sweet & fresh
- Peppered Cucumbers – Spicy & fresh
- Cassava Fries (baked) – Cassava (root vegetable) with a slightly sweet and bitter taste.
- Channa (oven-roasted, 50% less oil) – Seasoned chickpeas served warm. Spicy and faintly citrus taste.
- Callaloo – Made with amaranthus (type of flower), coconut milk and other seasonings. Dark green stew-like texture with a spinach taste.
- Pepper Sauce
- Mango Sour – Tangy dipping sauce. Served cold.
- Coconut Chutney – Spicy topping that can be used on most West Indian appetizers. Served cold.
Would you like me to post the recipes for any of the above? Let me know.